NanoDatabank is available to registered users through nanoinfo.org. Access to the basic data management functionality of NanoDatabank is publicly available through nanoHUB.org. NanoDatabank is web-accessible and designed with simplicity of storing and sharing data. In NanoDatabank, data of each investigation is stored as part of a study which may contain one or more investigations. Studies and investigations are linked to specific nanomaterials that are stored in a nanomaterials Catalog (nanoCatalog). Classification of investigations is enabled via a built-in dynamic taxonomy that consists of subtrees of Nanomaterials and investigations along with the embedded associated data files. Data files are stored in a database in encrypted binary format using a grid based file storage system which encodes/decodes file data using standard data encryption algorithms. Using the built-in taxonomy, Meta data are automatically generated in conjunction with dynamic summary reports of the uploaded. NanoDatabank currently contains datasets on more than 1000 ENMs types, 900 investigations of ENMs toxicity (including metal, metal oxides, QDs, CNTs and more) and 150 investigations regarding F&T and ENM characterization.
NanoDatabank allows secure sharing of data via the group management module which provides administrative control to the data owner who is a registered user. In the group management module, groups can be created to add trusted registered users who comply with NanoDatabank terms and conditions. Data control and sharing is under the control of the data owner. Access and ,management of shared data includes: (i) secure authentication in order to create/edit groups, (ii) identification of the registered requesters (or users wishing to share data) via their stored profiles and affiliation, (iii) setting security levels for the information to be shared (from public level to shared with individual user or group/institution), (iv) restricted access based on either “view only” or “file confidentially shared” for both the meta data and associated data files for an investigation or a complete study. Using the group management system, a registered user can also submit a data share requests to the NanoDatabank administration or data owner which have the authority to approve sharing via either the file/investigation management console (to share specific one data file/investigation to a user or a group), or group management module (to share one or more files/investigations at a time by an individual user or a group of registered users).
Key features of NanoDatabank include:
- Accessibility to data sets by various simulators and data processing tools.
- Ability to upload raw data and perform various data processing functions.
- An intelligent record query system.
- A customizable and expandable interface via JSON to allow addition and/or modification of new metrics/ units or request for the addition of new items in classifications tree.
- Easy selection of the currently available nanoCatalog nanomaterials (or addition of new nanomaterials) for an investigation and visualization of the relationships among nanomaterials and their related investigations.
- Administrative roles to create groups, add users to groups and share raw data/metadata or even complete studies with different groups.
- Administrative roles to securely upload raw data files and assign permissions for individual files for individual users/groups (completely private to public levels).